Why Should I Give to the Growing Spine Foundation?
Giving to the GSF ensures the continuation of new research into spinal deformity conditions in young children. Your donation to GSF also helps to educate physicians from all over the world on advances in growing spine research and medical care. Through research and education, GSF hopes to drastically improve global care of young children suffering from life threatening spinal deformities.
- Who is the organization and what does it do? The Growing Spine Foundation (GSF) is a 501 (c) 3 organization which supports spine-related research and education which relates to young children. GSF’s mission is to improve the global care of patients with Early Onset Scoliosis and other deformities related to the growing spine and chest through research, education and professional development.
- Why does it exist? Until recently, there were not many available options for the treatment of these young children and for the most part, they had been ignored. Limited clinical studies exist, but many questions regarding prevention and treatment of severe deformities in children with immature spines remain unanswered. This group of children is often at greater risk for pulmonary complications and even premature death due to progressive scoliosis and its detrimental effect on lung development.
- What must be accomplished? Because the patient population is small multi-center studies are required to evaluate these children more accurately and answer the clinically relevant questions.
- How will the fundraising campaign enable it to be accomplished? Unfortunately, due to the lack of financial incentive and ongoing issues with federal regulations related to pediatric research, grants are not readily available to support these projects. The Growing Spine Foundation supports Growing Spine research and educational projects as well supporting the Growing Spine Study Group (GSSG), funded by grants from private and industry donations. The Growing Spine Foundation sponsors the annual International Congress on Early Onset Scoliosis (ICEOS) to education physicians from all over the world about the advances in growing spine research.
- Why should a donor give to the campaign? Contributions to the Foundation will support continued medical education and research focused toward improving the lives of young children who suffer these life threatening conditions.